The whole family is over and Uncle Joe is so excited to try out his new turkey fryer! He heeded advice of the experts for proper precautions:
- Thaw turkey BEFORE putting into the fryer
- Use turkey fryer outdoors, a safe distance from buildings
- Never use a turkey fryer in a garage or on a wooden deck
- Make sure fryer is on a flat surface to avoid spilling hot oil
- Never leave fryer unattended
- Most have a thermometer; oil will continue to heat until it starts on fire
- Do not overfill the fryer
As conversations get distracting, Joe's attention is elsewhere and the next thing anyone knows is there a large grease fire! What to do?
- Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touch pot or lid handles
- Wear safety goggles to protect eyes from oil splatter
- Use fire extinguisher to put out fire
- Do NOT use water to put out the fire (oil + water do not mix!)
Preventing a fire [0:18]
Putting out a fire [1:10]
Think the Chinese restaurant is still taking orders for dinner?