Teens are at a greater risk for accidents and fatalities than any other group of drivers. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), teenagers drive less than all but the oldest people, but their numbers of crashes and crash deaths are disproportionately high. Based on crashes of all severities, the crash rate per mile driven for 16-19 year-olds is 4 times the risk for older drivers.
Before you hand over the keys to your teen...
- Contact your agent to discuss auto insurance for your teen driver.
- Review Tips for Teen Drivers.
- Make sure your teen is driving a safe vehicle. Learn more about Shopping For a Safe Car.
- Use a New Drivers Contract to outline the duties and responsibilities of the road, your expectations and the associated consequences.
- Get a free Glove Box Kit. Allow us to quote your Home and Auto
package and we’ll send you a free Glove Box Kit for your new driver! Contents include:
- Accident Report Form
- Disposable Camera
- Windshield Scraper
- Mini Flashlight
For more information about teen driver statistics, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety/Highway Loss Data Institute. You can also download West Bend Mutual’s Beginning Teenage Drivers brochure PDF.
Please watch the Young Drivers - The High Risk Years video to learn more about teenage driving.